American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Tapering from a rounded base toward an apex; lance-shaped: lanceolate leaves.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Shaped like a lance-head; in botany, several times longer than broad, and tapering from a rounded base toward the apex, or tapering in both directions: by some restricted to the latter case: said of leaves, scales, marks, etc.
- adj. botany, mycology Having the general shape of a lance; much longer than wide, with the widest part lower than the middle and a pointed apex.
- adj. technical Of a class of knapped stone points, made without a stem, shoulders, notches, or other features that aid in attachment to a shaft.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Bot. & Zoöl.) Rather narrow, tapering to a point at the apex, and sometimes at the base also.
- adj. (of a leaf shape) shaped like a lance head; narrow and tapering to a pointed apex
- Latin lanceolatus. (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin lanceolātus, from Latin lanceola, diminutive of Latin lancea, lance; see lance. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A person hunting with spears would likely carry a couple of lighter ones with an atl-atl, and a heavy, lanceolate one like a boar spear for the finish or in case of a charge.”
“The leaves are opposite, simple broad lanceolate to ovate, 1-9 cm long and 0.5-6 cm broad.”
“Var. serrulatus; leaves tender, lanceolate, acute, serrulated; stamens about 44.”
“These are lanceolate points that are pointed at each end.”
“The typical leaf is oblong elliptical, while individual plants produce lanceolate leaves with two short lateral lobes, with many intermediate forms.”
“On the stiff soil the trees were ironbark, box, apple, gum, and some large acacias, with long lanceolate phyllodia, and large spikes of golden coloured flowers.”
“I also here obtained specimens of a beautiful Hoyea, with long lanceolate leaves, a much finer shrub than H. CELSII.”
“CALLITRIS, and a very pretty LOPHOSTEMON, about twenty feet high, with long narrow lanceolate leaves, and very round bushy top.”
“I found a beautiful species of LORANTHUS, growing on acacia trees, and producing on its long pendulous shoots, abundance of beautiful scarlet flowers; the tube of the coralla was about two inches long, very short limbs, with long lanceolate glossy leaves.”
“Two lanceolate basalt points and a slate perforator (Tom Dillehay) [LARGERIMAGE]”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lanceolate’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Being a list of words which have "specifically" in their definitions.
My collection of words that are intriguing, but don't fit my other lists.
Words looked up in 2012
the concise british flora in colour (w. keble martin)
Looking for tweets for lanceolate.