American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Resembling or having the long, thin, cylindrical shape of a worm.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Wormlike in form: shaped like a worm; vermicular. Long and slender; of small caliber in proportion to ength; cylindrical: as, the vermiform body of a weasel; the vermiform tongue of the ant-eater. See cuts under
- Related to a worm in structure; allied or belonging to the Vermes; vermian; helminthic; annuloid or annulose.
- Specifically, in entomology: Noting any maggot or maggot like larva, as those of most Hymenoptera and Diptera. Noting certain worm-like polyphagous larvæ;, with only rudimentary antennæ, and apodous or with very short legs like tubercles, as those of most weevils and longicorns.
- The vermis of the cerebellum.
- adj. In the shape of a worm.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Resembling a worm in form or motions; vermicular.
- adj. resembling a worm; long and thin and cylindrical
- Latin vermis ("worm") + -form (Wiktionary)
“With respect to the alimentary canal, I have met with an account of only a single rudiment, namely the vermiform appendage of the caecum.”
“The appendix is also called the vermiform appendix because of its wormlike (vermiform) shape.”
“The skin of fruit should never be eaten, nor should the stones, pips, or seeds be swallowed, as there is a danger of their accumulating in a small pouch of the bowel known as the vermiform appendix.”
“Continue reading “Darwin and the vermiform appendix”.”
“The Colorado River is our great resource and unless we conserve it and get the maximum benefit from it, we can depend upon becoming a sort of vermiform appendix to Los Angeles, instead of becoming one of the great empire states of this nation.”
“Also, the vermiform constellation Draco, which traditionally occupies the polar position in the heavens of the northern hemisphere, encircles the center of a late quattrocento tapestry depicting the heavens as a wheel of fortune and an enormous astrolabe.”
“Darwin and the vermiform appendix is the next entry in this blog.”
“Darwin and the vermiform appendix was the previous entry in this blog.”
“That complicates the analysis, so they actually did two: one that used the strict definition and excluded some cases, and one that used a broader definition that included every species that had something vaguely vermiform dangling off the appropriate region of the gut.”
“Darwin and the vermiform appendix - The Panda's Thumb”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vermiform’.
Words so awesome they'll kick your eyeballs' asses!
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
A place for me to keep words I found (or found anew) while reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. (Culling my enormous "Learned (or Encountered) in Reading" list.)
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Words to remember from Nabokov's "Lolita"
Words compiled while reading Lolita
relating to or like a worm
Words that mean worm-shaped
Looking for tweets for vermiform.