American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A method of solid waste disposal in which refuse is buried between layers of dirt so as to fill in or reclaim low-lying ground.
- n. A site used for or reclaimed by such disposal.
- v. To dispose of (waste material) in a landfill.
- v. To fill in or reclaim (land) by this method.
- v. To dispose of refuse or reclaim land by filling in low-lying ground.
- v. To dispose of garbage by burying it at a landfill site.
- n. A site at which refuse is buried under layers of earth.
- n. The material so disposed of.
- n. a low area that has been filled in
- land + fill (Wiktionary)
“I don't think the term "landfill" is an appropriate synonym.”
“Rob Bennett for The Wall Street Journal There are virtually no remaining empty lots left to develop in Battery Park City, a neighborhood largely built on top of landfill from the excavated World Trade Center site in the 1960s.”
“Now there are virtually no remaining empty lots left to develop in Battery Park City, largely built on top of landfill from the excavated from the World Trade Center site in the 1960s.”
“Rather it ends up in landfill, where it takes as long to break down as everything else and may actually contribute more greenhouse gases than traditional plastic packaging.”
“Food in landfill creates methane, a source of greenhouse gas.”
“One other fact to be encouraged by: the methane gas caused by paper decomposition in landfill sites has been cited as a cause for concern.”
“The families have said the landfill is not a proper burial site for their loved ones.”
“The dispatch of these two blogs to the virtual web landfill is a tribute by the editor [of this blog] to all journalists slandered by the same type of Labour Party political criminal groups.”
“It's the equivalent of putting over three thousand plastic bags in landfill, he would take two thousand years to decompose.”
“As a small nursery we have a strong environmental ethos where we feel that we can make a real difference especially to the amount of nappies ending up in landfill sites.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘landfill’.
how land is used
A list of terms for land, landholdings, or words that contain the string -land-.
Names for the next generation of My Little Ponies. Inspired by Star's list.
Looking for tweets for landfill.