from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Capable of petrifying other bodies.
- adj. Capable of beng converted into stone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Undergoing the process of becoming stone; having the capacity of being converted into stone; having the quality of petrifying bodies.
- n. Any substance which has the quality of petrifying other bodies, or of converting or being converted into stone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Turning to stone; petrifying.
- Petrifactive; lapidific; having the power of converting to stone.
- n. A substance which has the quality of petrifying another substance, or converting it to stone.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Like an emanation of stars and space, it was yet gem fine and gem hard, crystalline and metallic, lapidescent and —
The lapidescent drops distilling from these through a long course of ages, have gradually raised the floor of the cavern, so as to render it difficult to pass between the edges of the new surface and the circumference of the cavern.
On the way back he chanced upon Mrs. Hastings, seated on a bench of lapidescent wood in the portico -- and a Titanic portico it looked by day -- and, having sent for the palace chef, she was attempting to write down the recipe for the salad of that day's luncheon, although it was composed chiefly of fowls now extinct everywhere excepting in
This contained a liberal amount of sonorous words derived from the Latin, such as "campestral," "lapidescent,"
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.