American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To tie or bind with a ligature.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bind with a ligature; tie.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To tie with a ligature; to bind around; to bandage.
- v. (Molecular biology) To concatenate two strands of (nucleic acid, usually DNA), in an end-to-end fashion, using a ligase.
- v. bind with a bandage or ligature
- v. join letters in a ligature when writing
- v. bind chemically
- Latin ligāre, ligāt-; see leig- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I know there are professors in this country who "ligate" arteries.”
“At that time, it had only been demonstrated that RNA could cleave or ligate phosphodiester bonds.”
“Ensuing discoveries of other natural catalytic RNAs that could cleave and ligate phosphodiester bonds, and the very recent observation that the region surrounding the peptidyl transferase center of a bacterial”
“It had taken over three years to test and litigate Carrie's case, but less than an hour to cut and ligate her”
“I do not want to extract, digest, ligate, transform, inoculate or incubate anything.”
“Instead I've ended up working 10-11ish hour days trying to play catch up to get the World's Most Uncooperative Plasmid to ligate my oligonucleotides and getting the yeast ready to do the shuffle.”
“This also requires the intervention of enzymes that cut and re-ligate the DNA at appropriate positions.”
“The gene of interest and pRFP are cut with a restriction enzyme and mixed together so they can ligate.”
“The best so far is just a ribozyme 180 nt in length that can ligate pieces of nucleotides up to 14 nt long.”
“I believe I can ligate them-tie a thread very tightly round the base of each hemorrhoid, I mean.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ligate’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Verbs meaning link, connect, join, attach or bind
Looking for tweets for ligate.