from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To turn into wood or become woody through the formation and deposit of lignin in cell walls.
- transitive v. To make woody or woodlike by the deposit of lignin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To become wood.
- v. , (botany): To develop woody tissue as a result of incrustation of lignin during secondary growth.
- v. , (by extension): To become rigid or fixed, like something made of wood.
- v. To turn into wood; to make ligneous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To convert into wood or into a ligneous substance.
- intransitive v. To become wood.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To convert into or become wood; make or grow woody.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. convert into wood or cause to become woody
From Latin līgnum "wood" + -ify (Wiktionary)