Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A writing from which all words containing a particular letter are omitted, as the several books of the Odyssey of Tryphiodorus, in the first of which, it is said, there was no A, in the second no B, etc. Similarly, poems have been written in English avoiding the use of e, which is the most frequent of all English letters, while, on the other hand, pieces also have been written containing only one vowel, as e.
- n. A word, or writing which omits a symbol or symbols.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A writing composed of words not having a certain letter or letters; -- as in the Odyssey of Tryphiodorus there was no A in the first book, no B in the second, and so on.
- n. a text that excludes a particular letter or particular letters of the alphabet
- Back-formation from lipogrammatos, "wanting an uncial". (Wiktionary)
“For Joshua Cohen's own version of a "lipogram," a work with a missing symbol, Benjamin Israelien's void after another, now total, global decimation of the Chosen People erodes him from the inside out.”
“It's the hardest kind of lipogram, as it doesn't contain the letter E - the most common letter in the English language.”
“A difficult task to construct a lipogram – such a short scrap was a taxing duty.”
“The song reminds me of constrained writing like a lipogram or a Yngwie Malmsteen solo: technically proficient but not a lot of fun.”
“Eunoia Coach House Books, 2002, a lipogram that uses only one vowel in each of its five chapters was awarded the Griffin Poetry Prize in 2002.”
“Inspired by the rulebound literature of Oulipo (the French coterie of poets), Eunoia consists of a univocal lipogram—a story written in five chapters, each of which uses only one vowel exclusively (the first chapter using only A, the second chapter using only E, etc.)”
“And for anyone planning on asking what a lipogram or liponym is, I present to you this post, by felisdemens.”
“He didn't get the point of it and maybe the only thing worse was a lipogram.”
“What you've just read is a lipogram - a text written without using a particular letter of the alphabet.”
“The days of Perec and the experimental coterie Oulipo may seem distant, but Christian Bök has revived their spirit in his 'univocal lipogram”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lipogram’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
words wot i already knew
Words that I like.
Many may be lexicographically impotent due to a lack of citations and definition. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify this eventually.
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Most of these describe word patterns or relationships between words.
Looking for tweets for lipogram.