from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The gross physical character of a rock or rock formation.
- n. The microscopic study, description, and classification of rock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of rocks, with particular emphasis on their description and classification.
- n. The general composition of a rock or rock sequence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science which treats of rocks, as regards their mineral constitution and classification, and their mode of occurrence in nature.
- n. A treatise on stones found in the body.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A branch of mineralogy concerned with the minute study of rocks, with the object of finding out what minerals make up the different varieties.
- n. That department of medical science which is concerned with the study and treatment of calculi found in the human body.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of geology that studies rocks: their origin and formation and mineral composition and classification
litho- + -ology (Wiktionary)