from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who or that which lopes; a runner; a leaper.
- n. A swivel placed at one end of the rope-walk, with the whirl being at the opposite end.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, lopes; esp., a horse that lopes.
- n. A swivel at one end of a ropewalk, used in laying the strands.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which lopes. In rope-making (in the now nearly obsolete process of laying up strands in a rope-walk by the use of a whirl), a swivel placed at one end of the rope-walk, the whirl being at the other end.
From lope (“to leap, run”) + -er. (Wiktionary)