from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device that produces alternating current for distribution to the spark plugs, used in the ignition systems of some internal-combustion engines.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a dynamo that provides power to the spark plugs of a small internal combustion engine
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small electric generator with an armature rotating in a magnetic field, having a secondary winding that generates a high voltage, such as one used to generate a voltage sufficient to cause a spark to jump between the poles of a spark plug in an internal-combustion engine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A magneto-electric machine: as, a magneto-motor.
- n. A combining form of magnet or magnetic, often implying especially magneto-electric.
- n. Specifically, the electric generator used as the source of the current in internal-combustion motors (the engines of motor-cars in particular) to cause the spark which ignites the combustible mixture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small dynamo with a secondary winding that produces a high voltage enabling a spark to jump between the poles of a spark plug in a gasoline engine
Short for magnetoelectric machine.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)