American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A device that produces alternating current for distribution to the spark plugs, used in the ignition systems of some internal-combustion engines.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A magneto-electric machine: as, a magneto-motor.
- n. A combining form of magnet or magnetic, often implying especially magneto-electric. As applied to electric machines, it is used (in contradistinction to dynamo-) to indicate that the magnetic fields involved are due to permanent magnets.
- n. Specifically, the electric generator used as the source of the current in internal-combustion motors (the engines of motor-cars in particular) to cause the spark which ignites the combustible mixture. The magneto, which is in effect a dynamo, is driven from the motor-shaft and supplies current through a small storage battery for use in starting or before the magneto armature reaches speed. The magneto is not liable to stoppage of its current, nor to change of voltage, and the renewal of the battery-cell is eliminated. See
ignition, 5, and internal-combustion motor.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A small electric generator with an armature rotating in a magnetic field, having a secondary winding that generates a high voltage, such as one used to generate a voltage sufficient to cause a spark to jump between the poles of a spark plug in an internal-combustion engine.
- n. a small dynamo with a secondary winding that produces a high voltage enabling a spark to jump between the poles of a spark plug in a gasoline engine
- Short for magnetoelectric machine. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“As the use of this instrument as a transmitter has practically ceased, the term magneto telephone has lost its significance as applying to the receiver, and, since many telephones are equipped with magneto generators for calling purposes, the term magneto telephone has, by common consent, come to be used to designate any telephone including, as a part of its equipment, a magneto generator.”
“_ The term magneto telephone, as it was originally employed in telephony, referred to the type of instrument now known as”
“The terms magneto-electric, magneto-generator, etc., involving the term "magneto," have come to imply the presence of _permanently_ magnetized steel as an element of the construction.”
“In that moment, when magneto is slowly moving his hand towards the king, & before the chess piece began to vibrate, I wondered who is known to always play chess with him?”
“Nearly all of the telephones which are equipped with magneto generators are, however, also equipped with local batteries for talking purposes, and, therefore, the terms magneto telephone and local battery telephone usually refer to the same thing.”
“Using a technique called magneto-encephalography that measures brain signals, the Oxford researchers found that a baby's face can seize our attention in milliseconds, activating an unusual mental organ called the fusiform gyrus that responds to human faces.”
“I cannot too strongly emphasize the importance of walking alone, for then you have shifted your nerve energy from the dry cell battery of the brain to the magneto, which is the spinal cord.”
“Such currents are known as "induced currents;" and the action is called magneto-electric”
“As already stated those switchboards which are adapted to work in conjunction with magneto telephones are called magneto switchboards.”
“This particular type of circuit is one commonly employed where the generator, ringer, hook switch, and induction coil are all mounted in a so-called magneto bell box at the top of the instrument, and where the transmitter is mounted on an arm just below this box, and the battery in a separate compartment below the transmitter.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘magneto’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
I get a charge out of these words.
Codenames for top-secret places and things.
area 51, groom lake, homey airport, dreamland, paradise ranch, the box, manhattan project, operation anthropoid, operation barbarossa, operation northwoods, operation overlord, operation sealion and 26 more...
As to feature the creature "mog".
Looking for tweets for magneto.