from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person or nation receiving a mandate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who receives a mandate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One to whom a command or charge is given; hence, specifically, a person to whom the pope has, by his prerogative, given a mandate or order for his benefice.
- n. One who undertakes to discharge a specific business commission; a mandatory.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One to whom a command or charge is given; one who has received and holds a mandate to act for another; an attorney.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the recipient of a mandate
Sorry, no etymologies found.