from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various forest-dwelling monkeys of the genus Cercocebus of central Africa, having a long tail and a slender body.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several large, arboreal monkeys of the family Cercopithecidae
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several African monkeys of the genus Cercocebus, as the sooty mangabey (Cercocebus fuliginosus), which is sooty black.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A monkey of the genus Cercocebus, of which there are several species, inhabiting Africa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large agile arboreal monkey with long limbs and tail and white upper eyelids
After Mangabey, a region of Madagascar.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
So called by Buffon from Mangaby, in Madagascar, where he erroneously supposed them be native. (Wiktionary)