from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dense growth of small trees and shrubs in the Mediterranean area.
- n. A member of the French underground organization that fought against the German occupation forces during World War II; a member of the Resistance. Also called Maquisard.
- n. This French underground organization.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Dense Mediterranean coastal scrub
- n. the French resistance movement during World War II
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the French underground that fought against the German occupation in World War II
- n. a guerrilla fighter in the French underground in World War II
French, from Italian macchie, pl. of macchia, thicket, spot; see maquette.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French maquis (Wiktionary)