from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small, variably colored rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus) found in parts of the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The rattlesnake Crotalus catenatus or Sistrurus catenatus in the family Viperidae. It is found in three subspecies.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The black rattlesnake (Crotalus tergemina, or Caudisona tergemina), found in the Mississippi Valley.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the small but very venomous rattlesnakes which inhabit prairies in the western United States and Territories, such as Crotalophorus tergeminus (Sistrurus catenatus).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pygmy rattlesnake found in moist areas from the Great Lakes to Mexico; feeds on mice and small amphibians
- n. small pygmy rattlesnake
The massasauga is the rattlesnake occasionally found in the swamps from western New York to Nebraska, but it is rare.
“The eastern massasauga rattlesnake lives in these woods, girls.”
Some of these species, like the white fringeless orchid and the eastern massasauga rattlesnake, have been waiting decades for protection.
Thomas, We have the massasauga snake where I live.
The other occurs from Ohio to Nebraska, where it is called massasauga.
"I am sure there is no danger from that source; but Douglas, did you ever hear of, or see, a massasauga?"
EPA officials recently awarded $6.6 million in Great Lakes Restoration Initiative grants designed specifically to put unemployed people to work - uprooting invasive plants, stabilizing stream banks and creating habitat for the endangered Kirtland's warbler and massasauga rattlesnake.
Most importantly, never kill a massasauga rattlesnake, which is unnecessary, dangerous, and illegal due to its protected status
The eastern massasauga rattlesnake is listed as a threatened species in Ontario, while the spotted turtle is considered endangered.
Although ministry officials wouldn't give specific details, New York state authorities said they were able to obtain eastern massasauga rattlesnakes from one of the suspects.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.