from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small, variably colored rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus) found in parts of the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The rattlesnake Crotalus catenatus or Sistrurus catenatus in the family Viperidae. It is found in three subspecies.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The black rattlesnake (Crotalus tergemina, or Caudisona tergemina), found in the Mississippi Valley.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the small but very venomous rattlesnakes which inhabit prairies in the western United States and Territories, such as Crotalophorus tergeminus (Sistrurus catenatus).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pygmy rattlesnake found in moist areas from the Great Lakes to Mexico; feeds on mice and small amphibians
- n. small pygmy rattlesnake
After the Mississagi, a river of southeast Ontario, Canada.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ojibwe massasauga ("great river mouth"). (Wiktionary)