from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large carnivorous dinosaur of the genus Megalosaurus of the Jurassic Period.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A carnivorous dinosaur of the Megalosauridae family.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A gigantic carnivorous dinosaur, whose fossil remains have been found in England and elsewhere.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dinosaur of the family Megalosauridæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. gigantic carnivorous bipedal dinosaur of the Jurassic or early Cretaceous in Europe
New Latin Megalosaurus, genus name : megalo- + Greek sauros, lizard.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Southern England is unusually rich in fossil remains – theiguanadon was found at Lewes, the icthyosaur at LymeRegisand the megalosaur at the Isle of Wight.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.