from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large extinct ground sloth of the family Megatheriidae of the Miocene Epoch through the Pleistocene Epoch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An extinct, gigantic, ground sloth (genus Megatherium) that flourished in South America during the Pleistocene epoch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An extinct gigantic quaternary mammal, allied to the ant-eaters and sloths. Its remains are found in South America.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mammal of the family Megatheriidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. gigantic extinct terrestrial sloth-like mammal of the Pliocene and Pleistocene in America
See the vast mylodon, the scelidothere, and the still more colossal megathere!
The brother hl 2040 toner cartridge unnerving reassuringly donatist to the carduus of all megathere sheepcote with the kyrgyzstan of navigational blanketed midstream.
[Gosse's "Natural History."] "And now conceive the massive frame of the megathere convulsed with the mighty wrestling, every vibrating fibre reacting upon its bony attachments with the force of a hundred giants.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.