from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Parapsychological activities, such as telepathy and mind reading.
- n. The belief that some mental phenomena cannot be explained by physical laws.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The doctrine that physical reality exists only because of the mind's awareness
- n. Activities such as mind reading, especially when used by performers
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a doctrine that mind is the only true reality and that objects exist only as aspects of the mind's awareness.
- n. Any theory of psychology that accepts introspective data about the functioning of the mind as a valid object of study; contrasted to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Mental activity or process.
- n. The metaphysical opinion that matter is a mode of mind or consciousness; the opposite of materialism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (philosophy) a doctrine that mind is the true reality and that objects exist only as aspects of the mind's awareness
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Of course, you do know that my crazy mentalism sometimes runs to writing with arbitrary length-restraints, right?
In an interview, Mr. Segev, who refers to himself as "The Mentalizer," travels around the world and does many corporate Wall Street events, called Mr. Geller "the father of modern mentalism," and pointed to Mr. Geller's spoon bending as a trick that put him on the map.
Why is the tradition of mentalism alive in Israel, but not so much in America, especially with a role model as dashing as Simon Baker?
Derren Brown's Tricks of the Mind video -- baffling mentalism ...
We hae oor ain kynd o mentalism here in Scotland, ye ken.
But the latter has also exposed our own hypocrisy in mocking America's mentalism.
Creative minds in the field of magic and mentalism are constantly coming up with better ways to fool the senses.
When this stage has been reached, mentalism will be stone dead, and the problem of mind and body will have solved itself.
MALAZAN runs roughshod over the details and just cuts loose with the mentalism giant jade statues stuffed full of dead souls acting as an anti-orbital laser battery?
It is quite another to suppose that Western values are whatever today's ideologues declare them to be-- economic freedom, for instance, as opposed to equally Western values like asceticism, environ-mentalism, socialism and communism.