American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The golden covering of the Ark of the Covenant, regarded as the resting place of God.
- n. The throne of God.
- n. Christianity The lid of the Ark of the Covenant, on which God is said to have been enthroned; taken to represent the throne in heaven.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bib.) the golden cover or lid of the Ark of the Covenant. See Ark, 2.
- n. the golden covering of the ark of the covenant
- n. the throne of God
- From mercy + seat, after German Gnadenstuhl, translating Hebrew כַּפֹּרֶת (kappóreth) (= Hellenistic Greek ἱλαστήριον (Septuagint)/Latin propitiatorium (Vulgate)). (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Looking for tweets for mercy seat.