American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The middle, usually fleshy layer of a fruit wall.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, the middle layer of a pericarp when it is possible to distinguish three dissimilar layers; the sarcocarp. It is the fleshy substance or edible part of fruits which lies between the epicarp and the endocarp. See cuts under
- n. botany The middle layer of the pericarp of a fruit. In many fruits such as drupes and tomatoes, the mesocarp is fleshy.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) The middle layer of a pericarp which consists of three distinct or dissimilar layers.
- n. the middle layer of a pericarp
- meso- + Ancient Greek καρπός ("fruit"). (Wiktionary)
“The middle layer containing the toxic oil is called the mesocarp”
“Hyphaene compressa fruit (mesocarp) 10.73 1.95 15.09 7.5”
“Uses: FOOD: The dark brown fruit pulp (mesocarp) is eaten raw (Pokomo, Boni, Swahili).”
“P. alba pods also usually have a thicker mesocarp indicating a greater pod sugar content.”
“It consists of a thin, pliable exocarp, an orange/red pulpy mesocarp and a hard nut containing a single kernel.”
“Aims of the breeders are, apart from a thin endocarp and and a thick mesocarp, to further shorten the unproductive growing period, to slow down and limit the height growth and to increase the fruit content.”
“Me - mesocarp, EM = embryo, En = endocarp, Esp = endosperm, Kei = germ, Ha =”
“· A by-product from cashew nut processing is a viscous liquid extracted from the mesocarp.”
“Second, there is palm oil proper, which comes from the fleshy mesocarp surrounding the nut.”
“The D produces a fruit with a pulp or mesocarp (the main store of oil) which is rather sparse and with a regular-shaped kernel protected by a very thick and hard shell.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mesocarp’.
A hodgepodge, jumble, jambalaya, *gallimaufry, circus and tent revival of plant anatomy and morphology terms and phrases - its a big tent, and no tickets are required.
Looking for tweets for mesocarp.