from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Philosophical inquiry or theory supplementing the empirical science of psychology. Metapsychology deals with aspects of the mind that cannot be evaluated on the basis of objective or empirical evidence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The philosophical study of psychology and of the mind
- n. A set of principles governing Freudian psychology
- n. Study of how human experience forms, filters perception and shapes identity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A term formed on the analogy Of metaphysics to denote philosophical speculation regarding the mind, its origin, functions, etc., which is beyond the reach of verification by mental experience; metempirical psychology.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
*BULLSHIT* Evolutionary psychology claims to be the "metapsychology" of human behavior and that all other fields of psychology operate at a "lower level of analysis" because everything stems from evolutionary psychological forces.
Some Continental feminists map either the metapsychology of Freud or Lacan onto the culture itself, studying social systems as the competing forces of normalization and dissidence
As Tatar has observed, it was no accident, given the roots of psychoanalysis in mesmerism and hypnosis, that Freud should so often have had recourse to the vocabulary of hydraulics and electromagnetism in formulating his metapsychology (43-44).
Its root assumptions, such as (to quote Dr. Mollinger) "that conscious and unconscious phenomena function under different modes" and "that psychic energy is distributed and transformed," are unamenable to empirical testing, yet they exert a controlling influence over the whole of metapsychology.
What this reasoning in fact shows is that Dr. Mollinger regards psychoanalysis as a deductive system, one whose particular concepts entail assent to the whole of metapsychology.
The language of Freud's metapsychology employed analogies such as mental
The latter are understandably concerned with pragmatic medical results instead of with nuances of metapsychology, and the wearing clinical routine does not make for long perspectives.
The nipple is a sexual object throughout Freudian metapsychology.
I thought I might have children some day; so child psychology seemed more useful than institutional behavior, sociology of the exotics, or alien metapsychology. "
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.