from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The anterior part of the embryonic hindbrain, which gives rise to the cerebellum and pons.
- n. The cerebellum and pons of the adult brain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the portion of the embryonic rhombencephalon from which the pons and cerebellum arise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The posterior part of the brain, including the medulla; the afterbrain. Sometimes abbreviated to meten.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The afterbrain; the medulla oblongata as far as the pons Varolii: synonymous with myelencephalon of Huxleyand others, and macromyelon of Owen.
- n. The cerebellar segment of the brain, the chief parts of which are the cerebellum and pons Varolii. Huxley. See cuts under brain and encephalon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the part of the hindbrain that develops into the pons and the cerebellum
Greek meta, after, beyond, over + enkephalos, brain. (Wiktionary)