from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Variant of matronymic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Alternative form of matronymic.
- n. Alternative form of matronymic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Derived from the name of one's mother, or other female ancestor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Derived from the name of a mother or other female ancestor: correlative to patronymic: as, a metronymic name.
- n. A maternal name; a name derived from the mother or a maternal ancestor.
- In anthropology, relating to that form of society in which the child takes its name from the mother's family, or in which the child is reckoned as a member of the maternal family.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a name derived from the name of your mother or a maternal ancestor
Sorry, no etymologies found.