Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In sculpture, relief higher than bas-relief but lower than alto-rilievo; middle relief.
- n. A piece of sculpture in such relief.
- n. half-relief; a middle degree of relief in figures, between high and low relief
- n. sculpture in this kind of relief
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A middle degree of relief in figures, between high and low relief.
- n. Sculpture in this kind of relief. See under alto-rilievo.
- n. a sculptural relief between low relief and high relief
- Italian (Wiktionary)
“Especially valuable is a sarcophagus with a representation in mezzo-rilievo of the tragedy of the daughters of Niobe.”
“Michael Angelo set himself to carve it out in marble in mezzo-rilievo, and so well did he succeed, that I remember to have heard him say that when he saw it again he recognised how much wrong he had done to his nature in not following promptly the art of sculpture, judging by that work how well he might have succeeded, nor does he say this boastingly, he was a most modest man, but because he truly laments having been so unfortunate that by the fault of others he has sometimes been ten or twelve years doing nothing, as will be seen presently.”
‘mezzo-rilievo’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for mezzo-rilievo.