American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Relating to or marking the distance of an ancient Roman mile, which equaled 1,000 paces.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the ancient Roman mile of a thousand paces or five thousand Roman feet; marking a mile.
- n. A milestone; specifically, a stone or column set up to form a point of departure in measuring distances.
- n. A milestone.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to a mile, or to distance by miles; denoting a mile or miles.
- n. A milestone.
- Latin milliarium. See milliary (adjective). (Wiktionary)
- Latin mīlliārius, consisting of a thousand, one mile long, from mīlle (passuum), a thousand (double paces), a Roman mile; see gheslo- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I heard the clip from the speech where Bush made the "commander guy" statement, and, although his syntax was as always vey awkward, he clearly said just what she says he did -- that he, Bush, is a guy who supports milliary commanders over others rhetorically presented as inadequate to make decisions about Iraq.”
“It stands like the golden milliary column in the midst of Rome, from which all others reckoned their distances.”
“Pollux; then the trophies of Marius; then two milliary columns which served for the admeasurement of the Roman universe; and the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius, noble and calm in the midst of these several recollections.”
“This name signifies in Arabic causeway, paved or flagged road, and a milliary mentioned by Sterrett (Corpus inscript. latin.,”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘milliary’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Ghost words that I've adopted because the original listers abandoned them. Yarb has more in his Adoption agency, and many orphlings are tagged as ghosted, ghost phrases, misspellings, or typos.
Looking for tweets for milliary.