from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- prep. Mathematics With respect to a specified modulus: 18 is congruent to 42 modulo 12 because both 18 and 42 leave 6 as a remainder when divided by 12.
- prep. Correcting or adjusting for something, as by leaving something out of account: This proposal is the best so far, modulo the fact that parts of it need modification.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- prep. Given a specified modulus of.
- prep. : (colloquial) Except for differences accounted for by.
- prep. : (extended use) With due allowance for (a specified exception or particular detail).
- n. the operation or function that returns the remainder of one number divided by another
Latin modulō, ablative of modulus, diminutive of modus, measure; see mode.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin modulō, ablative of modulus ("a measure"). (Wiktionary)