from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A reddish-brown phosphate mineral containing rare-earth metals, (Ce, La, Y, Th)PO4, important as a source of cerium and thorium.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any of a range of reddish-brown minerals that are mixed phosphates of the lighter rare earth elements lanthanum, cerium, praseodymium, neodymium, promethium, samarium, europium, gadolinium and yttrium
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mineral occurring usually in small isolated crystals, -- a phosphate of the cerium metals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A phosphate of the cerium metals, usually containing some thorium silicate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reddish-brown mineral containing rare earth metals; an important source of thorium and cerium
Greek monazein, to live alone; see monastery + -ite1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)