from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various flowering plants, such as grasses, orchids, and lilies, having a single cotyledon in the seed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any plant belonging to the Monocotyledones (also written Monocotyledonae) or Liliopsida, a class in the Angiospermae, the flowering plants. This group include the grasses, lilies, orchids and palms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plant with only one cotyledon, or seed lobe; a member of the Monocotyledonae.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A monocotyledonous plant; an endogen. See endogen, and cut under cotyledon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a monocotyledonous flowering plant; the stem grows by deposits on its inside
mono- + cotyledon (Wiktionary)