American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Biology The sole member of its group, such as a single species that constitutes a genus.
- n. A unique print made by pressing paper against a painted or inked surface.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The only, single, or sole type, as a species single in its genus, a genus in its family, etc.; a typical representative alone of its kind.
- n. A print from a metal plate on which a picture is painted, as in oil-color or printers' ink. Only one proof can be made, since the picture is transferred to the paper.
- n. The trade-name of a machine which casts and sets in order single types.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Biol.) Having but one type; containing but one representative.
- (Biol.) The only representative of its group, as a single species constituting a genus.
- A print (but one impression can be taken) made by painting on metal and then transferring the painting to paper by pressure; also, the process of making such prints.
- A kind of keyboard-operated typesetting and casting machine that makes and sets separate characters.
- n. (biology) a taxonomic group with a single member (a single species or genus)
- n. a typesetting machine operated from a keyboard that sets separate characters
“It is called the monotype because it casts and sets up the type piece by piece.”
“The reason why the machine is called a monotype is that the letters are made one at a time, and _monos_ is the Greek word for _one_.”
“From here, head to Federico Bencini's, where you'll find a bright space full of his magnificent monotype prints created on wood and metal.”
“Similarities reveal themselves among works as disparate as a rough-hewn monotype of a prostitute scratching her buttocks and an unfinished canvas of nude bathers in the sea.”
“For "OPEN 3," Walter Kravitz an artist whose works typically occupy whole rooms took graphite, ink and charcoal to the surface of his oil-based monotype.”
“The others passed up the studio's newer printing technology, instead using the oil-based monotype.”
“Gauguin produced this "traced monotype" by inking a piece of paper, overlaying it with another and then drawing on the back of the blank sheet.”
“For instance, a few summers ago the Castelvecchio Museum in Verona, a medieval building brilliantly re-conceived as a museum by architect Carlo Scarpa, mounted a show of Michael Mazur's great black-and-white monotype illustrations for my translation of Dante's Inferno.”
“Pursuit of the single proof lead to the monotype, a printed image created without engraving.”
“For just the four years covered in this show, he immersed himself in the new technique of the monotype -- and used it to produce 69 all-black rectangles, with their subjects barely present, in negative, as a handful of white lines.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘monotype’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"A trademark is any word, name, symbol, or design, or any combination thereof, used in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods of one manufacturer or seller from those of another and to indi...
inky sod, spreads like a disease
Looking for tweets for monotype.