from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See nighthawk.
- n. Lower Southern U.S. See dragonfly. See Regional Note at dragonfly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dragonfly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a dragon fly; -- so called because it captures and feeds upon mosquitoes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dragon-fly.
- n. The night-hawk, a caprimulgine bird, Chordeiles popetue, or some other species of the same genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. mainly nocturnal North American goatsucker
- n. slender-bodied non-stinging insect having iridescent wings that are outspread at rest; adults and nymphs feed on mosquitoes etc.
Sorry, no etymologies found.