from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A strip of wood or metal separating and holding panes of glass in a window.
- n. A vertical framing member set between two rails in a door or in paneling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of the separators between panes of glass in a composite window.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as mullion; -- especially used in joiner's work.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The central vertical piece that divides the panels of a door.
Middle English mountaunt, upright post or stud, from Old French montant, from present participle of monter, to mount; see mount1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)