Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mumbling or muttering.
- n. In pathology, movement of the lips and tongue as in speaking, but without articulation: a sign of bad omen in disease.
- n. speech conducted in a hushed manner, akin to a whisper or a murmur.
- n. medicine A comatose patient's action of forming words with his lips without producing sound.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete A speaking in a low tone; mumbling.
- n. a low continuous indistinct sound; often accompanied by movement of the lips without the production of articulate speech
- Latin mussātĭo, ceasing to speak (Wiktionary)
“315 Certain parts should be recited aloud (jahr) and others sotto voce (with mussitation = Khafi).”
“Not conversation by any civilized standard, but a kind of a mussitation, the prisoner’s half-mime half-whisper, under the nodding eye of an orderly.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mussitation’.
Language disorders, disabilities, and unusual demonstrations.
Oddments culled from my "main" lists that belong in a display cabinet of their own, plus sundry other curiosities. :-)
Another of my random palavery lists for words or phrases that haven't yet found a place in one or more of my other lists.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
it is better to be alert
Looking for tweets for mussitation.