from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Scots A unit of liquid measure equal to 0.9 U.S. pints (0.42 liters).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A unit of fluid capacity approximately equal to three-quarters of an imperial pint (0.43 litres)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A liquid measure equal to four gills, or an imperial pint.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A liquid measure in Scotland, containing four gills, and forming the fourth part of a Scotch pint.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Scottish unit of liquid measure equal to 0.9 United States pint
Middle English muchekyn, from Middle Dutch mudseken, diminutive of mutse, a kind of measure, from Latin modius, grain measure.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)