from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An eelpout (Macrozoarces americanus) of the coastal waters of northeast North America.
- n. Mutton snapper.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the American eelpout. See Eelpout.
- n. A fish (Lutjanus analis) similar to and often marketed as “red snapper”.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the family Lycodidæ, Zoarces anguillaris.
- n. A kind of ormer or ear-shell, Haliotis iris, of New Zealand.
- n. A common name of a fish of the family Gerridæ, Gerres olisthostomus, found from Florida to Brazil.
- n. A marine univalve mollusk, Haliotis mæuosa, so called from its flavor when cooked.
- n. One of the snappers, Lutianus analis, found from Florida to Brazil. It is the most important food-fish in the Havana markets.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. similar to and often marketed as `red snapper'
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.