American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Infestation of tissue by fly larvae.
- n. A disease resulting from infestation of tissue by fly larvae.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The infestation of human beings by dipterous and other insect larva). Such are the cutaneous swellings caused by the larva) of the œstrid Dermatobia noxialis; the occurrence of the larvæ of the screw-worm fly, Lucilia (or Compsomyia) macellaria, in the nasal passages or in wounds; and the occurrence of larvæ (as anthomyiid larvæ swallowed with uncooked vegetables) in the alimentary tract. Myiasis is referred to medically as internal or external, myiasis interna or myiasis externa. Also called
scholechiasis. Cambridge Nat. Hist., VI. 512.
- n. infestation of the body by the larvae of flies (usually through a wound or other opening) or any disease resulting from such infestation
- From Ancient Greek μυῖα (muia, "fly"). (Wiktionary)
- Greek muia, mūa, fly + -iasis. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This rare and quite disgusting condition is known as myiasis, an infection or infestation of the body of animals and more rarely, humans, with the larva of botflies and”
“I uncovered a few documented cases in medical journals of black soldier fly intestinal myiasis, which is when undigested larvae make your intestines their new home.”
“▪ Risk of enteric myiasis: intestinal larval infection.”
“Mansour al-Qadasi, director-general of the GDAHVQ, said the screwworm fly, which causes myiasis, thrives in mild conditions with a specific level of humidity, preferring areas with plants.”
“The process is meant to prevent myiasis, or "fly-strike," in which fly larvae infest and feed on the skin.”
“Zumpt proposed an alternative called "rectal myiasis".”
“A dirty environment is one of the factors responsible for the spread of the screwworm fly, according to experts SANAA, 11 January 2009 (IRIN) - The General Department for Animal Health and Veterinary Quarantine (GDAHVQ) in Yemen's Ministry of Agriculture has deployed 21 field teams in the northeast to combat a new outbreak of myiasis, an infestation of human or animal tissue with fly larvae (maggots). near the border with Saudi Arabia in December 2007.”
“When a field team finishes fighting myiasis in one area, it can be surprised by its appearance in another area, "al-Sirmi said.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘myiasis’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
parasitoid, brood parasite, hyperparasite, ectoparasite, social parasite, epiparasite, intercellular par..., kleptoparasite, parasitic castration, necrotroph, parasitic castrator, microparasite and 66 more...
My fancies, my cudgels.
Looking for tweets for myiasis.