from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The world of the dead.
- n. The part of society engaged in crime and vice: "In this black-white nether world, nobody judged the customers” ( Malcolm X).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The place to which one's spirit descends upon death, conceived as below the surface of the earth.
- n. The locale of the spirit world or afterlife, whether deemed to be situated below the world of the living or not.
- n. Specifically, a location of punishment in the afterlife; a hell.
- n. A hidden, shadowy, or sinister subculture, such as that of organized crime.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (religion) the world of the dead
From nether- (“beneath, lower”) + world. (Wiktionary)