from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An iron-headed golf club with the face slanted at a greater angle than any other iron except a wedge; a nine iron.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. (dated) A metal headed golf club with a large highly lofted head. Replaced by a sand iron or wedge in a modern set of clubs
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of golf stick used to lift the ball out of holes, ruts, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of club used in the game of golf, having a dumpy cup-shaped iron head. It is used to jerk the ball out of sand, ruts, rough ground, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an iron with considerable loft
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)