American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Remaining in the nest after hatching until grown or nearly grown. Used of a bird.
- adj. Sharing the nest of another species of animal: nidicolous mites.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Abiding in the nest; noting those birds which are hatched in a more or less holploss condition and remain for some time in the nest; altricial: contrasted with nidifugous.
- adj. zoology Tending to stay at the nest or birthplace for a long time after birth, due to dependence on the parents for feeding and protection.
- adj. (of birds) remaining in the nest for a time after hatching
- Latin nīdus, nest; + -colous. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘nidicolous’.
List of adjectives such as everduring that do not frequent common speech and writing. A continuation of my list Adjectival Arcana, which had grown to over 7700 words and had become far too cumbersome.
Words to quiz the intermediate and advanced speller alike
Terms used in Zoology
Words that describe 'shunning' or 'drawn to' behavior, mostly of plants and animals.
... that I didn't know and also was pleased to learn.
Terms Used in Ornithology
structured and spacious words - literally and figuratively
Looking for tweets for nidicolous.