from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large palm (Nipa frutescens) of the Philippines and Australia, having long leaves often used for thatching.
- n. An alcoholic beverage made from the sap of this plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A palm tree of the species Nypa fruticans.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An aberrant genus of low palms of the tribe Phytelephantinæ, characterized by the one-celled carpels and roughened pollen-grains.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. made from sap of the Australasian nipa palm
- n. monotypic genus of palms of Australasia
New Latin, from Malay nipah.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)