from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a number of elements, such as oxygen or sulfur, that lack the physical and chemical properties of metals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an element, such as phosphorus or chlorine, that does not have the chemical or physical properties of a metal
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of the set of elements which, as contrasted with the metals, possess, produce, or receive, acid rather than basic properties; a metalloid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In. n chem., an element which has not the character of a metal. See metalloid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not containing or resembling or characteristic of a metal
- n. a chemical element lacking typical metallic properties
Sorry, no etymologies found.