from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a number of elements, such as oxygen or sulfur, that lack the physical and chemical properties of metals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an element, such as phosphorus or chlorine, that does not have the chemical or physical properties of a metal
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of the set of elements which, as contrasted with the metals, possess, produce, or receive, acid rather than basic properties; a metalloid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In. n chem., an element which has not the character of a metal. See metalloid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not containing or resembling or characteristic of a metal
- n. a chemical element lacking typical metallic properties
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Another 232 were issued to metal and nonmetal mines, a category that includes quarries and cement plants, among other things.
The problem is that if these irresponsible narcissists get publicity, talk show and tv time and fame and promote their desire for moneymaking opportunities ... it will encourage others to do the same stupid stunts and maybe one of them will be carrying plastic explosives, poison, or some other nonmetal weopen, thus endangering our President, his family, staff, and guests. ...
The interiors are about 14% of the weight, with the remaining 15% from other car parts that are made from nonmetal glass, electrical components, doors, liquids and closures.
One of the biggest differences was using aluminum in key parts of the fuselage instead of composites, the carbon epoxy and other nonmetal materials used in the first prototypes on the theory that would save weight.
Hoping that the nonmetal handle would interrupt a lethal electrical shock, in seconds I was hacking at the conduit like a demented ax murderer.
Nail file: to smooth and shape the nails nonmetal, 180 grit or higher
But it could be hard to find a showerhead without some nonmetal materials inside the head.
There is more variation in the characteristics of the nonmetal elements.
The stripping ratio (tons of waste per ton of ore extracted) in metal, nonmetal, and coal surface mines in the U.S. has increased sharply in the last half-century.
When tackling the problem of scrapping off old bumper stickers, try mayonnaise and a nonmetal scraper to break down glue and residue.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.