from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The difference in latitude between two positions as a result of a movement to the north.
- n. Progress toward the north.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The distance north of a standard reference latitude.
- n. A distance traveled northward.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Distance northward from any point of departure or of reckoning, measured on a meridian; -- opposed to
- n. The distance of any heavenly body from the equator northward; north declination.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The distance of a planet from the equator northward; north declination.
- n. In navigation and surveying, the distance of latitude reckoned northward from the last point of reckoning: opposed to southing.
- n. Deviation toward the north.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The captain counts it a light upon one of the headlands of the Jersey shore; and he orders the helmsman (she is sailing in the eye of an easy westerly breeze) to give her a couple of points more "northing"; and the yards and sheets are trimmed accordingly.
I needed thorium, and northing but thorium, and went from Shattrath to Orgrimmar to Ferales to Silithus to Un'Goro Crater.
The EHRC has long been considered a joke by disabled people it does northing for and dodges any real work.
"Whenever you face trials of any kind," explained the apostle James, "consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in northing."
Hollywood heavyweights from all quarters knew darn well that Gibson's 25 year public track record of being a decent citizen far surpassed his sad one night incident and by many of those who were clearly northing more than grandstanding opportunists who's envy and jealousy far succeeds their hypocrisy.
Ideally we'd publish NG, easting/northing and lat/long, because the stored data can be pushed through any transformations in the publication process.
It is then converted to easting, northing, lat and long so it can be used in a variety of apps.
Jojoba shrubs are native to the Sonoran desert around Arizona, California and northing Mexico.
George Osborne The Independent – There is northing progressive about out-of-control spending
Using these values, we can state that the easting as being 916 and the northing as 944.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.