American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several African antelopes of the genus Tragelaphus, having vertical stripes on the sides of the body, including especially T. angasi of southeast Africa, the male of which has spiral horns and long black hair along the neck and the underside.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See inyala.
- n. A south African antelope, Tragelaphus angasii, with thin white stripes in the grey or brown coat, a ridge of tufted hair running all along the spine, and long horns with a spiral twist.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zool.) A spiral-horned South African antelope (Tragelaphus angasi) with a fringe of white hairs along back and neck.
- n. spiral-horned South African antelope with a fringe of white hairs along back and neck
- n. city in Sudan
- Probably of Bantu origin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A major feature of the Ndumo Game Reserve is its over-abundance of nyala, which is a favoured antelope for hunting.”
“The nyala is a South African species and is not to be found in British East Africa.”
“Trophies from those trips—a waterbuck, a greater kudu, and a nyala—hang on the walls of the same room that contains the bulk of my magic books.”
“Also saw a very good nyala but no opportunity for a shot.”
“Hope I can go back one day for the kudu and nyala.”
“Also saw a nyala run through a high fence like it wasn't there.”
“It was the sight of mellow nyala softly nibbling on leaves drizzled with dew that brought me to the glass wall each morning.”
“A variety of Ethiopian endemics can be found, including the critically endangered Walia ibex (Capra walie) and endangered mountain nyala (Tragelaphus buxtoni).”
“These high altitude ecoregions are especially known for their diversity of small mammals with over 10 near-endemic species, but also harbor notable near-endemic large mammals, such as the Walia ibex (Capra walie), the mountain nyala (Tragelaphus buxtoni), and the gelada baboon (Theropithecus gelada).”
“The mountain nyala is not a montane specialist, but has been restricted to Afromontane areas through habitat loss.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘nyala’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words that are spelt the same way in English and in Hungarian but have independent origins and mean something entirely different. Not included are proper names (Anya, Ken, Pete - Kiss, Soma, Vince,...
words derived from Zulu found
There is a Scottish boat called
a zulu built by William Campbell
a large light-coloured antelope with curled horns. L. from an African word quoted by Pliny.
any one of a group of hollow-horned...
because they have the lovliest names!
Looking for tweets for nyala.