from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A halfpenny.
- n. An objection.
- n. The obese gene.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An abbreviation
- of the Latin obiter, incidentally, by the way;
- of oboe.
- n. A necromancer; a sorcerer.
- n. An abbreviation of objection, used in connection with sol, abbreviation of solution, in the margins of old books of divinity. Hence obs and sols, objections and solutions. See ob-and-soler.
- n. An abbreviation of the Latin obiit, he (or she) died: used in dates.
- n. A prefix in words of Latin origin, meaning ‘toward,’ ‘to,’ ‘against,’ etc., or ‘before,’ ‘near,’ ‘along by,’ but often merely intensive, and not definitely translatable.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a major river of western Siberia; flows generally northward and westward to the Gulf of Ob and the Kara Sea
- n. the branch of medicine dealing with childbirth and care of the mother
So did the main ob/gyn professor at my med school.
September 20th, 2009 10: 19 am ET you lie again ob katiec
If ob is the nominee ..... who will he run to for "spiritual" guidance after McCain slaughters him in the general? bet those ties aren't severed after all.
In the name ob luv, befores you breaks muh heart …
I called ob at work. i thought i would say something nice before the weekend. i had this "brilliant" idea last night before i went to bed ... that she will always be in my heart and soul, like my brother.
I called my ob/gyn and am going to have my yearly and also discuss a hysterectomy.
Miss Hagar's pocket-hankercher and he guv me a bag made outen de skin ob a rattlesnake, an 'he put in it a rabbit's foot an' er sarpint's toof, an 'er squorerpin's tail wid a leetle dust outen de graveyard an' he sewed up de bag.
"I reckin," he said, "dat de min'ster might offer a word ob prar an 'comfort fore he go."
"But, Geo'giana," he added impressively, "you mus 'promise me on your word ob honour, w'ich Geo'ge Foster says English gen'lemans _neber_ break -- an' I s'pose he's right."
"Well, as I was 'bout to say, you mus 'promise me on your word ob honour, dat you'll neber go _alone_ to see your fadder, but allers in company wid Sally; dat you neber, neber speak to him, an' dat you neber make you'self know'd to him till de right time comes."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.