from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An earnest supplication made in the name of God
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of obsecrating or imploring
- n. A figure of speech in which the orator implores the assistance of God or man.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of obsecrating; entreaty; supplication.
- n. In liturgics, one of the suffrages or versicles of the Litany beginning with the word by (or, in Latin, per); a petition of the Litany for deliverance from evil: as, “By thy baptism, fasting, and temptation,” the response being “Good Lord, deliver us.”
- n. In rhetoric, a figure in which the orator implores the help of God or man.
Sorry, no etymologies found.