American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The page size, 4 by 6 1/2 inches, of a book composed of printer's sheets folded into 18 leaves or 36 pages.
- n. A book composed of octodecimo pages.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as eighteenmo. Abbreviated 18mo.
- n. paper, printing A size of a sheet of paper resulting from folding and cutting a sheet of paper into eighteenths (3.5"-4.5" x 4.9"-5.9").
- n. printing A book consisting of pages of that size.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having eighteen leaves to a sheet
- n. A book composed of sheets each of which is folded into eighteen leaves; hence; indicating more or less definitely a size of book, whose sheets are so folded; -- usually written 18mo or 18°, and called
- From Latin ablative of octusdecimus ("eighteenth") (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin (in) octōdecimō, (in) an eighteenth, ablative sing. of octōdecimus, eighteenth, from Latin octōdecim, eighteen : octō, eight; see oktō(u) in Indo-European roots + decem, ten; see dekm̥ in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It is from your Father in heaven, -- behold it!" said he, in a dramatic accent, and pulling out of his breast-pocket a small octodecimo Bible.”
The Cross and the Shamrock Or, How To Defend The Faith. An Irish-American Catholic Tale Of Real Life, Descriptive Of The Temptations, Sufferings, Trials, And Triumphs Of The Children Of St. Patrick In The Great Republic Of Washington. A Book For The Entertainment And Special Instructions Of The Catholic Male And Female Servants Of The United States.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘octodecimo’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words used in the rare book trade (of which I was once a part). For more about how such books are put together, see hernesheir's excellent The Bindery.
Looking for tweets for octodecimo.