from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Architecture An eyelike opening or ornament, especially:
- n. A round window.
- n. A circular opening at the apex of a dome.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A window or other opening that has an oval or circular shape (as of an eye).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An eye.
- n. A round window, usually a small one.
- n. A leaf bud.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, the eye; an eye; specifically, a compound eye.
- n. In botany, an eye; a leaf-bud.
- n. A European plant, Inula Oculus-Christi, having astringent properties.
- n. In architecture, a circular window, usually a small one without tracery or other special subdivision; also an opening at the summit of a dome-shaped vault.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the organ of sight
Medieval Latin, from Latin, eye.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin oculus ("eye"). (Wiktionary)