American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A fast-running wild ass (Equus hemionus subsp. onager) of central Asia, having an erect mane and a broad black stripe along its back.
- n. An ancient and medieval stone-propelling siege engine.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A wild ass, Equus hemippus or E. onager, inhabiting the steppes of central Asia. See dziggetai.
- n. A war-engine for throwing stones, used in Europe in the middle ages.
- n. A wild ass, Equus hemionus, especially the koulan.
- n. A military engine acting like a sling, which threw stones from a bag or wooden bucket, and was operated by machinery.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Rom. Antiq.) A military engine acting like a sling, which threw stones from a bag or wooden bucket, and was operated by machinery.
- n. (Zoöl.) A wild ass of central Asia, especially the
koulan(Equus hemionus syn. Equus hemippus syn. Equus onager, formely Asinus onager).
- n. an engine that provided medieval artillery used during sieges; a heavy war engine for hurling large stones and other missiles
- n. Asiatic wild ass
- From Anglo-Norman onager, Old French onager ("wild ass; siege engine"), from Latin onager ("wild ass"), from Hellenistic Ancient Greek ὄναγρος ("wild ass"), from ὄνος ("ass") + ἄγριος ("wild"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Late Latin, from Latin, wild ass, from Greek onagros : onos, ass + agrios, wild. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The onager is a wild ass that brays 12 times to signal the spring equinox.”
“The wild ass is called onager because "ass" in Greek is onus and "wild" is agrion.”
“The Kulan, or onager (Equus hemionus onager), is an endangered subspecies of Asian wild ass which has been recently introduced in this ecoregion (Kapchagai preserve) from Turkmenistan, where the only remaining wild population lives in the Badghyz Reserve.”
“The critically endangered Asiatic cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus ssp. venaticus), the endangered onager (Equus hemionus ssp. onager), and the Persian ibex (Capra aegagrus – classified as vulnerable on the IUCN Red List) were once more common in this region but now are found only in small numbers.”
“Characteristic fauna includes onager, gazelles, cheetah, leopard, the desert fox, and many species of birds.”
“Within this ecoregion, the Shaumari Wildlife Reserve protects vegetation, Gazelle spp., and the re-introduced onager (Equus hemionus).”
“Today, only a few hundred individuals of the Persian wild ass subpsecies (E.h. onager) persist in Bahram-e-Goor in the Iranian portion of the hotspot, while another subspecies of wild ass, known as the kulan or Turkmenian wild ass (E.h. kulan, CR), survives only in a single population in and around the Badkhyz Nature Reserve in south Turkmenistan, just marginally outside the hotspot.”
“Kulan, or onager (Equus hemionus onager) is the subspecies of Asian wild ass currently found only in this ecoregion.”
“The great civilizations of Sumer and Eqypt knew only the onager or wild ass.”
“Equus hemionus onager, the Onager or Asian Ass, but it would have been a bit too confusing.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘onager’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Names for the next generation of My Little Ponies. Inspired by Star's list.
butterfly knife, butterfly bomb, swan primary, chicken-powered n..., bec de corbin, bec de faucon, deer horn knives, butterfly sword, tiger claws, chicken sickle, cat o' nine tails, mamba pistol and 7 more...
Any word ending in -ager. And because I'm feeling generous tonight, I'll even let in words ending in -adger.
being items related to mediaeval warfare, arms and armaments.
words of mass (or minor) destruction
Words listed first by me that don't belong in any other list.
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
This is a collection of words I love, old ones that I love the sound of when I repeat them for years and new ones coined in news articles on up and coming trends and technologies - most of them I k...
Looking for tweets for onager.