American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- prep. On top of; to a position on; upon: The dog jumped onto the chair. See Usage Note at on.
- prep. Informal Fully aware of; informed about: The police are onto the robbers' plans.
- adj. Mathematics Of, relating to, or being a mapping such that every element of the target set referred to is the image of an element in the domain.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An obsolete form of unto.
- Toward and upon: as, the door opens directly onto the street.
- To and in connection with.
- To the top of; upon; on.
- prep. Upon; on top of.
- prep. informal Aware of.
- prep. mathematics Being an onto function with a codomain of (see below).
- adj. mathematics, of a function Assuming each of the values in its codomain; having its range equal to its codomain.
GNU Webster's 1913
- prep. upon; on; to; -- sometimes written as one word,
onto, and usually called a colloquialism; but it may be regarded in analogy with into.
- prep. On the top of; upon; on. See On to, under on, prep.
“Jam threw out the rotten apple, wiped that tray clean, and taped a label onto it.”
“I pretty much vomit sorry for the term onto the keyboard and type like crazy, not overthinking, just being totally honest about whats going on in here.”
““Do you remember taping the label onto the top of the box?””
“Perhaps Proctor & Gamble should throw their name onto the proceedings because of how deep we've entered soap opera territory.”
“Several times he wrote his name onto the list for sick call, and waited to be escorted to the infirmary.”
“It illuminated a patch of plaster on the ceiling where a servant had written his name onto the whitewash with candle smoke beside the initials of his beloved.”
“When I typed my name onto the Internet, I found three groups that were discussing my death.”
“Now hold your pencils high in the air and stab the title onto your paper!”
“The counselor seemed satisified with that, and she followed him without another word onto the bridge.”
“Tubb pleaded guilty to unlawful killing of an elk, waste of wildlife and transferring his tag onto an animal he did not shoot.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘onto’.
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
it bothers me when i hear someone who have experienced something life changing use the phrase: now i appreciate the little things. I DON'T BELIEVE THERE ARE ANY LITTLE THINGS. everything is EXTRAOR...
A selection of English* words ending with a vowel (except "y", "ea", ie", "ee", "oo", "ea", "ou") that is REALLY pronounced.
My favorite English words, by the way.
The good twin of The ...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Words which are highly likely to be found in the work of learned writers.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Looking for tweets for onto.