from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fish-eating hawk (Pandion haliaetus) having plumage that is dark on the back and white below. Also called fish hawk.
- n. A plume formerly used to trim women's hats.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bird of prey (Pandion haliaetus) that feeds on fish and has white underparts and long, narrow wings each ending in four finger-like extensions.
- n. aigrette (ornamental feather)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The fishhawk (Pandion haliaetus).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A diurnal bird of prey of the family Falconidæ and the genus Pandion; a fish-hawk.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large harmless hawk found worldwide that feeds on fish and builds a bulky nest often occupied for years
Middle English osprai, from Anglo-Norman ospreit, from Medieval Latin avis praedae, bird of prey : Latin avis, bird; + Latin praedae, genitive of praeda, booty, prey.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Middle English ospray from Latin ossifragus ("bone-breaker"). (Wiktionary)