from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. Nautical To sail closer to the wind than (another vessel).
- transitive v. Sports To surpass (an opponent, especially a boxer) in the number of points won.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To score more points than (especially, in boxing, to achieve victory by scoring more points that one's opponent).
- v. To sail closer to the wind than (another ship).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To sail closer to the wind than (another vessel).
- To excel in number of points, as a horse or a dog in a prize exhibition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. sail closer to the wind than
- v. score more points than one's opponents
From out- + point. (Wiktionary)