from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An overseer or superintendent.
- n. An umpire; a third arbiter, appointed when two arbiters disagree.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An overseer; a superintendent.
- n. An umpire; a third arbiter, appointed when two arbiters, previously selected, disagree.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An overseer; a superintendent; specifically, in Scots law, an umpire appointed by a submission to decide where two arbiters have differed in opinion, or named by the arbiters themselves, under powers given them by the submission.
- n. In lawn-bowls, one who decides as to the value of a shot in case of a dispute.
Sorry, no etymologies found.